With all the changes taking place in education over the past year, we’ve all thought a lot about what is and isn’t working with our educational system. What is it that makes a school great? I bet you even have a list of things that are important to you as parents. Things like:
- Small class sizes
- Caring teachers and staff
- Challenging curriculum
- Engaging programs
While this list of “must haves” is great in a traditional classroom setting, what about the virtual classroom? What makes an online learning experience a good one? Or even a great one?
After considerable thought, I’ve come to believe that the answer is the student. Each online student is in their own classroom, working at a different pace from their classmates, with limited teacher interaction. So why do some excel while others flounder? What exactly is it that makes a great online student? The following are examples of the qualities that successful online students possess:
- Ability to work independently. In an online program, students must be able to set their own daily goals because there is no teacher to remind them that a lesson needs to be turned in.
- Strong time management skills. Not only do online students need to be able to prioritize and track their own progress in courses, they need to make the commitment to set aside work time on a daily basis.
- Willingness to ask questions. In an online classroom, a teacher can’t tell when a student “gets it” or is still struggling with a concept. So online students must be willing to approach the teacher with questions. Successful students will try to include as much detail in their question as possible, so that the teacher can provide a more detailed answer.
- A self-motivated personality. Students who are successful in online programs are willing to take control of their education and be responsible for getting what they need. A student should be their own best advocate and never settle for less.
- Willingness to take advantage of available support services. We’ve created programs and services specific to the online student:
- Student Success Coaches, to offer guidance as students master these 5 greatness skills
- One-On-One Tutoring, because mastering the academic content is important too
- Collaborative Work Sessions, using today’s technology to promote social engagement
ThrivePoint Online High School
because every student has the potential to become a Great Online Student.
If you’re looking for a great opportunity, we’re looking for more great students.